Changing sex on drivers licenses

From Susan's Place Transgender Resources
Jump to: navigation, search

This article is for instructions on changing sex on U.S., Canadian and other driver's licenses.

This article is either incomplete or a placeholder. You can help Susan's Place Transgender Wiki by expanding it. Please read the site rules before you begin.

States and Countries


British Columbia

In order to change your name on your Driver's License, you need to present an original change of name certificate and your driver's licence at an Access Centre. To change your gender marker, you will need a letter from a doctor, surgeon, or psychiatrist saying that you have been diagnosed with Gender Identity Disorder and that you are living full time as your new gender. You do not have to have had surgery or be on hormones.

You can change the gender marker on your Care Card at that time as well.


Changing your name on your Ontario's License is fairly easy and there is no charge. First you must have applied for and received your Change of Name Certificate from the Registrar Generals Office. Then simply go to your local MTO license office and present the Change of Name Certificate, along with your current drivers license. This must be done within 6 days of receiving your certificate. They may even change the gender marker, they offered to in Kingston, but in other locations the staff may want proof from a surgeon, or doctor. They will take a new picture and issue you a temporary license so depending on how far along you are in transition you will need to make a decision on whether you will be presenting as a male or female.

United States

For information on changing information on a state issued Driver's License or Identification card, see: Changing sex on driver's licenses in the US

United Kingdom

The Driver Vehicle Licencing Authority (DVLA) issue driving licence in the UK. Applications has been tightened up since the introduction of photocard licences. Anyone applying for photocard driving licences are now asked to submit original documentation confirming their identity. After name change, a new licence will be issued free of charge unless your photograph is due for renewal, if so, the fee is £17.50.

UK driving licences do NOT have any Gender Identification on the licence in the form of the letter "M" or "F". The drivers gender is in code on the licence within the driver number. (field 5)
The number pertaining to gender is part of the second and third numbers, used for month of birth. Women get 5 added to the first digit of their birth month, so if they were born on the 2nd of July for example, the number for month would be 57, or 5 for women + 07 for month of birth. Men do not have anything added to the month of birth number.

In the accompanying letter it is best to request the code to be changed, as the gender code is NOT changed automatically.
(examples: a Trans woman born in November, would request the code to be changed from 11 or 61, a Trans man born in March, request change from 53, to 03)

The DVLA have a seperate section for dealing with transsexuals and it is best to phone them to request a specific name of a person to send the application to. To change your drivers licence is a cost of 38.00 GBP.

UK ID Card

Under proposed legislation, anyone with a biometric passport or ID card will be required to notify the National Identity Register of changes to personal data. While the cost of a new ID card is £30, most people will have to pay more.

Transgendered people will be issued two cards at the same time, one for their old identity and a new one for when they have completed transision.[1] Currently there are no penalties, civil or criminal, for not applying for an ID card, however, in the future it may eventually become compulsory for everyone aged 16 and over, who is legally resident or working in the UK, to have one.

(UK ID Cards are now discontinued.)

Digital passports

DVLA can confirm your identity with the Identity and Passport Service (IPS) without you having to send your passport to them. If both your photograph and signature appear on the same page in your passport, then it is a digital one. If you are making an application online you will be asked to provide your nine-digit passport number allowing DVLA to confirm your identity. If you are making a postal application, using the D1 application form, write your nine digit passport number and your signature in the ‘confirming your identity’ section of the application form D1. You don’t need to send your digital passport to DVLA. The fee for a passport can be found at the Identity and Passport Service website.

Other means of identification

DVLA also accepts the following documentation as confirmation of your identity. Unlike the digital passport though, you'll need to send this to DVLA with your application.

  • Full Valid Current Passport
  • UK Birth/Adoption certificate
  • Certificate of Registry of Birth (Provided your name is present on the certificate)
  • ID Card issued by a member state of the EC/EEA
  • Travel Documents issued by the Home Office
  • UK Certificate of Naturalisation

If your name is now different from that shown on the document you submit to confirm your identity, you must also supply original documentary evidence to confirm your change of name e.g. Deed Poll or Statutory Declaration. The evidence you provide must show a clear link between the name on your identity document and your current name. It will take up to two weeks for your new licence to arrive.

See also


  1. £1,000 fine for wrong ID details BBC News, last accessed, 21 November 2008


This page was originally authored by members of Susan's Place Wiki Staff.