Genderfuck is a gender performance which "fucks with" or plays with traditional gender identities, gender roles, and gender presentation, and often also with sexism and anti-gay bias. It is also defined as a relationship with gender, making love to gender and its performance (Smith). Examples include androgyny, drag kings, cross-dressing, effeminacy in men, masculinity in women, etc.
Examples of genderfuck in relation to physical performance or appearance include people prominently displaying secondary sex characteristics of different genders together - such as breasts and a beard.
As opposed to genderqueer or transgender presentation, genderfuck is generally an intentional attempt to present a confusing gender identity which contributes to dismantling the perception of a gender binary.
- Thomas, Calvin, ed. (2000). Straight with a Twist: Queer Theory and the Subject of Heterosexuality. University of Illinois Press. ISBN 0252068130.
- Smith, Clyde (2000). "How I Became a Queer Heterosexual", p.65.
- Readers may use this email link to report errors and/or omissions they have discovered, or to add additional material or comments regarding this article "Genderfuck"
- Wiki Staff should discuss this article in the Wiki Staff Forum
- Susan's Place Transgender Resources Forums
- Susan's Place Transgender Chat
Browse: Gender | Cross-dressing | Intersexuality | Transgender topics | Transsexualism | Hormone Therapy | Surgery | Standards of Care | Legal Information | Psychology | Transitioning | Family & Friends | People | Books | Abbreviations | Browse All TopicsRead the FAQ | Return to the Main Page
Want to help us? Write New Articles and/or Expand Current Articles
*Some information provided in whole or in part by http://en.wikipedia.org/