LGBT rights in Burundi
|LGBT rights in Burundi|
|Same-sex sexual activity legal?||Criminalized in 2009|
|3 months to 2 years prison, fine|
|Constitution bans same-sex marriage|
Lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender (LGBT) persons in Burundi face legal issues not experienced by non-LGBT citizens. The lower house of Burundi's parliament passed legislation criminalizing homosexual acts in November 2008. The Senate of Burundi later rejected the proposed amendment, but the assembly, which can override the senate, voted to restore the amendment which was then signed into law by President Pierre Nkurunziza on April 22, 2009.
Laws against homosexuality
Both female and male homosexual acts were previously legal in Burundi. The November 2008 legislation passed by the National Assembly of Burundi criminalizes homosexual acts.
Under the law, homosexuality carries a penalty of three months to two years imprisonment and a fine of 50,000-100,000 Burundian Francs.
Recognition of same-sex relationships
- "Burundi urged not to criminalise homosexual acts", Pink News (UK), 4 December 2008. Retrieved on 2009-01-23.
- Burundi senate rejects gay bill
- Burundi law makers secretly criminalize being gay
- Ottosson, Daniel (May 2008). State-sponsored Homophobia: A world survey of laws prohibiting same sex activity between consenting adults Page 45. International Lesbian and Gay Association (ILGA). Retrieved on 2009-01-12.
- Burundi: Mixed Response to New Penal Code, All Africa, 9 December 2008
- Burundi outlaws homosexuals, 24 November 2008
- Burundi abolishes death penalty, (AFP) The Times, 22 November 2008 â€” includes criminalization of homosexuality
- International Gay and Lesbian Human Rights Commission â€” Burundi information
- Burundi rejects proposal to criminalise homosexual relations, 17 February 2009
- Burundi criminalized homosexuality, 28 April 2009
- Readers may use this email link to report errors and/or omissions they have discovered, or to add additional material or comments regarding this article "LGBT rights in Burundi"
- Wiki Staff should discuss this article in the Wiki Staff Forum
- Susan's Place Transgender Resources Forums
- Susan's Place Transgender Chat
Browse: Gender | Cross-dressing | Intersexuality | Transgender topics | Transsexualism | Hormone Therapy | Surgery | Standards of Care | Legal Information | Psychology | Transitioning | Family & Friends | People | Books | Abbreviations | Browse All TopicsRead the FAQ | Return to the Main Page
Want to help us? Write New Articles and/or Expand Current Articles
*Some information provided in whole or in part by http://en.wikipedia.org/