LGBT rights in Cape Verde
|LGBT rights in Cape Verde|
|Same-sex sexual activity legal?||Legal since 2004|
|Military service||Unknown if gays and lesbians are allowed to serve openly|
Lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) persons in Cape Verde may face legal challenges not experienced by non-LGBT residents. Both male and female same-sex sexual activity is legal in Cape Verde, but same-sex couples and households headed by same-sex couples are not eligible for the same legal protections available to opposite-sex couples.
Laws regarding homosexuality
Since 2004, same-sex sexual acts are legal in Cape Verde. The age of consent is 16, equal with opposite-sex sexual activity.
The previous law called for fines supervision for first time offenders, while repeat offenders would face imprisonment.
- Ottosson, Daniel (May 2008). State-sponsored Homophobia: A world survey of laws prohibiting same sex activity between consenting adults Page 45. International Lesbian and Gay Association (ILGA). Retrieved on 2009-05-05.
- International Gay and Lesbian Human Rights Commission - Human Rights For Everyone. Everywhere
- Readers may use this email link to report errors and/or omissions they have discovered, or to add additional material or comments regarding this article "LGBT rights in Cape Verde"
- Wiki Staff should discuss this article in the Wiki Staff Forum
- Susan's Place Transgender Resources Forums
- Susan's Place Transgender Chat
Browse: Gender | Cross-dressing | Intersexuality | Transgender topics | Transsexualism | Hormone Therapy | Surgery | Standards of Care | Legal Information | Psychology | Transitioning | Family & Friends | People | Books | Abbreviations | Browse All TopicsRead the FAQ | Return to the Main Page
Want to help us? Write New Articles and/or Expand Current Articles
*Some information provided in whole or in part by http://en.wikipedia.org/