LGBT rights in Yemen
|LGBT rights in Yemen|
|Same-sex sexual activity legal?||Illegal|
|Death penalty Capital punishment|
Islamic Sharia Law applies
|No recognition of same-sex relationships|
Homosexuality is still illegal in Yemen in accordance to the country's Shari'ah legal system. Punishment ranges from flogging to death. Yemen is one of only seven countries to apply a death penalty for consensual sexual acts between adults of the same sex.
In terms of human rights, the security forces have been responsible for torture, inhumane treatment and even extrajudicial executions. According to the Embassy of Yemen, in recent years there has been some improvement, with the government signing several international human rights treaties, and even appointing a woman, Wahiba Faraâ€™a, to the role of Minister of the State of Human Rights. Other sources state that many problems persist alongside allegations that these reforms have not been fully implemented and that abuses still run rampant, especially in the areas of women's rights, freedom of the press, torture and police brutality. Freedom of the speech, the press and religion are all restricted. Gay and lesbian websites are blocked by the government.
As of 2007, there was no public or semi-public space for gays as in other countries. The official position is that there are no gays in Yemen, yet Yemeni law that stipulates severe punishment for homosexual activity acknowledges its existence.
- International Gay and Lesbian Human Rights Commission: Status of Sexual minorities - Yemen
- New book details increase in antigay violence worldwide
- An FCO programme for promoting the human rights of LGBT people
- World Day against Death Penalty: 7 countries still put people to death for same-sex acts
- Derechos - Human rights in Yemen
- Embassy of Yemen: Human Rights and Women's issues accessed 9-8-2006
- Human Rights Watch: World Report 2001 on Yemen accessed 9-8-2006
- Study: 25 countries block Web sites, including those with gay content
- And then there was Yemen.
- Readers may use this email link to report errors and/or omissions they have discovered, or to add additional material or comments regarding this article "LGBT rights in Yemen"
- Wiki Staff should discuss this article in the Wiki Staff Forum
- Susan's Place Transgender Resources Forums
- Susan's Place Transgender Chat
Browse: Gender | Cross-dressing | Intersexuality | Transgender topics | Transsexualism | Hormone Therapy | Surgery | Standards of Care | Legal Information | Psychology | Transitioning | Family & Friends | People | Books | Abbreviations | Browse All TopicsRead the FAQ | Return to the Main Page
Want to help us? Write New Articles and/or Expand Current Articles
*Some information provided in whole or in part by http://en.wikipedia.org/