Lana Wachowski (born June 21, 1965) and her brother, Andrew Paul "Andy" Wachowski (born December 29, 1967), born to a Polish American family in Chicago, are siblings collectively known as "The Wachowskis." They are American film directors, writers and producers, most famous for creating The Matrix series. Their most recent project was producing Ninja Assassin.
Beginning in 2001, Larry Wachowski was regularly seen with Los Angeles-area professional Dominatrix Ilsa Strix. Eventually these appearances led to a romantic relationship, culminating with Larry's divorce from Thea Bloom in 2002. Larry and Strix subsequently began living together.
Shortly after the release of Matrix Reloaded, it was rumored that Larry Wachowski began to make small public appearances dressed as a woman, using the name Lana Wachowski. In his column, published May 30, 2003, David Poland said "Every indication I have says that Larry Wachowski is now in the process of changing his sex. Dressing in public like a woman, taking female hormones and yes, having a sex change operation." This was further supported by a March 2006 San Francisco Chronicle article on transgender people, which repeated that Larry Wachowski, "has changed his sex and is now living as Lana Wachowski." The rumor was exacerbated by Larry Wachowski's reported penchant for cross-dressing, as reported by Rolling Stone.
In a 2007 interview Joel Silver, the producer of numerous Wachowski films, stated otherwise, saying that the rumors concerning Larry's sex change were "all untrue", further explaining, "they just donâ€™t do interviews, so people make things up." Similar statements were made to Fox News by crew members working on the Speed Racer film, with one employee pointing out, "on the call sheets, it still says Larry."
As of March 2010, Wachowski is listed as Lana Wachowski on IMDb and is noted with "as Larry Wachowski" in the credits for his prior movies . It should be noted, however, that IMDb is user-edited.
The Wachowskis included in their contracts for the Matrix sequels that they would not have to do press junkets or interviews of any kind and they would not have to be photographed for promotional purposes. They want the films to speak for themselves.
- Ranked #27 in Premiere's 2003 annual Power 100 List with brother Andy. Had ranked #89 in 2002.
- Estranged wife Thea Bloom was her college sweetheart. She left Bloom in 2002 for Karin Winslow, a professional dominatrix, who left her husband to take Wachowski on as her "slave.".
- Father was a businessman; mother was a nurse.
- She and her brother have written a screenplay called "Carnivore". The script was one of the scripts on Empire magazine's "Twelve Greatest Unproduced Scripts In Hollywood" list. (As of October 2003 it is still unproduced.).
- Attended Whitney M. Young Magnet High School along with her brother Andy Wachowski in Chicago, Illinois.
|2003||The Matrix Reloaded||✔||✔||✔|
|The Matrix Revolutions||✔||✔||✔|
|2005||V for Vendetta||✘||✔||✔|
- Lana Wachowski (IMBD)
- Die Wachowski-Geschwister, biography (German).
- Matrix Revelations, Wired (magazine) article about the Wachowskis.
- Wikipedia entry
- Readers may use this email link to report errors and/or omissions they have discovered, or to add additional material or comments regarding this article "Lana Wachowski"
- Wiki Staff should discuss this article in the Wiki Staff Forum
- Susan's Place Transgender Resources Forums
- Susan's Place Transgender Chat
Browse: Gender | Cross-dressing | Intersexuality | Transgender topics | Transsexualism | Hormone Therapy | Surgery | Standards of Care | Legal Information | Psychology | Transitioning | Family & Friends | People | Books | Abbreviations | Browse All TopicsRead the FAQ | Return to the Main Page
Want to help us? Write New Articles and/or Expand Current Articles
*Some information provided in whole or in part by http://en.wikipedia.org/