Leigh Ann Sparks
Leigh was one of Susan's longest serving members and was appointed to several positions during the seven plus years she was at Susan's. At the time of her passing she was the Forum Administrator. A highly respected, much loved member of Susan's, Leigh always spoke her mind and was someone who could be relied on to always provide sound advice to the membership. Leigh had a wealth of knowledge and was always upfront and quite frank with her opinions and feelings leaving no doubt as to where she stood on the many issues discussed in the forums. She was admired for her honestly and determination. Leigh Ann Sparks passed away on September 9th, 2006 from a cancer which ravaged her body. She was 60 years old, and taken from us much too soon.
Leigh was admitted to OHSU on Monday, September 4, 2006. She was not feeling well. Subsequent testing indicated widespread cancer in everything from her brain down to her vital organs. She passed away peacefully at approximately 1130 hours on Saturday, September 9, 2006." She did not die alone, her leather Dad, Cyd Athens was there at her side.
The memorial service was held at the Egyptian Room 3701 SE Division, Portland, OR, 97202-1547, on Sunday, September 17th at 4pm PST. The Egyptian Room is a local lesbian bar she frequented.
Some recollections about Leigh
(Please feel free to add your own also!)
- She said "I am sometimes too honest, almost to the point of rudeness. If someone asks me a question, I'll answer and if they don't like it, well they did ask."
- In July 2005 she told Stephanie Craxford, "I am not strong at all. I am just one determined bitch in boots an jeans who wasn't about to let some damn lil bug get in the way of me living my life"
- She carried a key chain "Woman by birth, Bitch by choice"
- Leigh was a 'card carrying lifetime member' of Bad Girls, something she was very proud of.
- A "Letter to the editor" written by Leigh:
Spelling in tolerance editorial divides
Letter to the editor
February 2, 2005
As a woman who is part Athabascan living in Oregon, I am compelled to ask why in part of this editorial (Empire editorial, Jan. 23), blacks was spelled with a lower case "b" but Natives was spelled using a capital letter? Why the use of the word blacks in the first place? Gays and lesbians can be closed-minded and condescending about heterosexuals, just as blacks and Natives can be hateful toward whites. The idea is to eliminate intolerance from all directions.
Leigh Ann Sparks
Leigh would not want us to be sad, but to celebrate her life. She was a great person who will be missed and remembered by all those who knew her.
- Readers may use this email link to report errors and/or omissions they have discovered, or to add additional material or comments regarding this article "Leigh Ann Sparks"
- Wiki Staff should discuss this article in the Wiki Staff Forum
- Susan's Place Transgender Resources Forums
- Susan's Place Transgender Chat
Browse: Gender | Cross-dressing | Intersexuality | Transgender topics | Transsexualism | Hormone Therapy | Surgery | Standards of Care | Legal Information | Psychology | Transitioning | Family & Friends | People | Books | Abbreviations | Browse All TopicsRead the FAQ | Return to the Main Page
Want to help us? Write New Articles and/or Expand Current Articles
This page was originally authored by members of Susan's Place Wiki Staff.