It is freely available for Windows, Macintosh, Linux, FreeBSD, SGI, Solaris, HPUX. The source code is available as well.
Various files may be downloaded from the Praat home page.
Pratt graphic application
The graphic application is what most users will be using.
Pratt command line application
This is a command line application for advanced users who would like to process speech using script files.
Phonetic symbol fonts
For the display of IPA phonetic symbols, two fonts are provided. There are not needed if display of phonetic symbols is not desired.
- Charis SIL font
- Doulos SIL font
Praat is a comprehensive program for speech analysis and has many features. Those with simple requirements will need to only use a small subset of its features.
The main window in the Praat graphic application is "Praat objects". There is another window called "Praat picture" which is not required for simple usage and may be closed.
In the Praat object window are listed all the audio clips and associated data derived from them. The verb buttons on the right hand side will change depending upon the type of object selected
Using the menu commands Read : Read from file... a WAV or MP3 file may be read in and added to the objects. Select an audio clip and click the Edit button. An edit window will open.
By default, this will show the audio waveform on the top half and the pitch contour on the bottom half. Clicking on the graph will select a single point of the audio clip. Clicking and dragging will select a portion of the audio clip. Readout of either instantaneous or average values will be indicated on the axises.
- Praat home page at the University of Amsterdam
- Praat Language Lab, a tutorial from the University of Minnesota
- Harvard Sentences, some standardized sentences for testing or practice
- Spectralissime, an alternative to Praat
- Readers may use this email link to report errors and/or omissions they have discovered, or to add additional material or comments regarding this article "Praat"
- Wiki Staff should discuss this article in the Wiki Staff Forum
- Susan's Place Transgender Resources Forums
- Susan's Place Transgender Chat
Browse: Gender | Cross-dressing | Intersexuality | Transgender topics | Transsexualism | Hormone Therapy | Surgery | Standards of Care | Legal Information | Psychology | Transitioning | Family & Friends | People | Books | Abbreviations | Browse All TopicsRead the FAQ | Return to the Main Page
Want to help us? Write New Articles and/or Expand Current Articles
This page was originally authored by members of Susan's Place and Susan's Place WikiStaff.