Sava Perovic was an internationally renown gender reassignment surgeon who practiced out of Belgrade, Serbia. He was 72 years old at the time of his passing. Reports state he suffered from an illness, details were not specified, it is not known if the illness attributed to the cause of death.
Dr. Perovic was a professor of urology, surgery and pediatric surgery at the University of Belgrade in Serbia. (Formerly Yugoslavia.) He headed the Department of Urology at the University Children's Hospital, also in Belgrade, where he was born on 21 February 1947.
The professor's pioneering work regarding genital modification has built a bridge over the gap between urology and plastic surgery, leading to him being widely regarded as the world's very best top urologist. He has been a medical doctor (MD) since May 1973 when he graduated from University of Belgrade's School of Medicine.
Dr Perovic acquired his Master's degree there in October 1979 and got his doctorate degree (PhD) in June 1982. He was a surgeon of the University of Belgrade's School of Medicine since October 1978, a urologist since December 1980, and a Professor of Surgery and Urology there since May 1991.
Dr Perovic is a member of 17 prestigious professional associations, societies and academies:
- AAP - American Academy of Pediatrics - Section of Urology, Affiliate Member
- AAPS - American Academy of Phalloplasty Surgeons
- AUA - American Urological Association, Corresponding Member
- BAPS - British Association of Paediatric Surgeons, Full Member
- BAUS - British Association of Urologic Surgeons
- DGU - German Urological Association, Honorary Member
- EAU - European Association of Urology, Full Member
- ESGURS - European Society for Genito-Urinary Reconstructive Surgery, Board Member
- ESPU - European Society of Paediatric Urology, Full Member
- ESSM - European Society of Sexual Medicine, Board Member
- GURS - Society of Genitourinary Reconstructive Surgery, Active Member
- HBIGDA/WPATH - Harry Benjamin International Gender Dysphoria Association
- HUA - Hungarian Urological Association, Honorary Member
- PUA - Polish Urological Association, Honorary Member
- RUA - Romanian Urological Association, Honorary Member
- SPU - Society for Pediatric Urology
- WHO - World Health Organization, Urological Reconstructive Surgery Section, Board Member
- Preminuo akademik Sava PeroviÄ‡ (in Serbian)
- Serbian pioneer sex change surgeon dies
- Website of (former) practice
- Readers may use this email link to report errors and/or omissions they have discovered, or to add additional material or comments regarding this article "Sava Perovic"
- Wiki Staff should discuss this article in the Wiki Staff Forum
- Susan's Place Transgender Resources Forums
- Susan's Place Transgender Chat
Browse: Gender | Cross-dressing | Intersexuality | Transgender topics | Transsexualism | Hormone Therapy | Surgery | Standards of Care | Legal Information | Psychology | Transitioning | Family & Friends | People | Books | Abbreviations | Browse All TopicsRead the FAQ | Return to the Main Page
Want to help us? Write New Articles and/or Expand Current Articles
This page was originally authored by members of Susan's Place Wiki Staff.