Changing sex on birth certificates

From Susan's Place Transgender Resources
Revision as of 09:26, 14 January 2015 by Flan Princess (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

This article is either incomplete or a placeholder. You can help Susan's Place Transgender Wiki by expanding it. Please read the site rules before you begin.


A person whose birth was registered in the Australia, may apply to the Births Register for alteration of the record of the person’s sex, in the registration of the person’s birth. Included in the petition you will need the declaration of two doctors verifying that GRS has been completed. Other documents and information may be requested. There is a fee for the cost of a new birth certificate.

The new birth certificate will not include any word or statement to the effect that the person to whom the certificate relates, has changed sex. See the following links for examples:



People of age 18 and older can change their birth certificate's gender marker with a signed document from their (MD) doctor or psychologist testifying to a person's gender identity. In order to obtain a form to change information including gender, you may be required to visit a registry agent office.


Any person (of Canadian citizen of full legal age and domiciled in Montréal for at least one year) who has successfully undergone GRS may obtain a change of designation of sex his or her act of birth and, (if necessary) a change of given names.

To successfully complete the Application for a change of designation of sex, (that you can obtain from the Directeur de l’état civil) your application must include a certificate from the attending physician and an attestation of successful treatment from another physician practicing in Montréal; in addition to other relevant documents.

Your application is subject to the same procedure as an application for a name change, however, the applicant is not required to publish notice beforehand. However, when the application is approved, the Directeur de l’état civil will publish its decision in the Gazette officielle du Québec.

An administrative fee of $125 is charged for an application for a change of designation of sex. After the application is approved, a Certificate of Change of Designation of Sex is mailed to you without charge.

In December 2013 the National Assembly voted Bill 35 in removing the requirement for genital surgery (vaginoplasty in trans women and hysterectomy in trans men) and also removes publication of said gender marker change in the Gazette officielle du Québec. Proposed was to change the legal age to change gender markers to 14 from the current minimum of 18 and remove the requirement for Canadian citizenship to change name or gender; both of which failed. The new requirements for gender marker change are likely to be similar to requirements for hormone therapy, which is a referral by a psychologist.


Ontario residents (18 and older) wishing to change gender marker on birth certificate must complete the application of change, declaratory statement and a letter from a licensed physician or a psychologist about the applicant's transition. Genital surgery is not a requirement. All previously issued copies of birth certificates must be included along with a completed application form.

All of the above needs to be sent to:[1]
Office of the Registrar General
P.O. Box 3000
189 Red River Rd, 3rd Flr
Thunder Bay, ON P7B 5W0

Middle East and North Africa

Currently only Egypt, Iran and Pakistan allow gender marker change as result of the fatwa was issued by the mufti of the foremost university in Islamic scholarship, the Al-Azhar University in Cairo, on June 8th, 1988. Current known regulation requires genital surgery and heteroerotic sexual orientation. Only Iran is known to have surgery covered under national health programmes.


Current political and social attitudes may preclude trans* people from successfully changing their legal documentation.


More information is needed.


More information is needed.


Ministry of Health and Welfare has recently (December, 2013) decided on new rules allowing trans* people and people born intersex to change the gender marker in their household registration records (which are linked to all other legal documents) on an informal basis without the need for genital surgery. The Ministry of Interior has yet to come up with relevant policies in response to the change.[2]

Previous regulation required review by two psychologists and removal of all reproductive organs. Many people who sought transition were denied at the doctor's office under the formal regulation because of demands to meet with the trans person's parents who could "veto" the proposed therapy.

United Kingdom

New birth certificates

A person whose birth was registered in the UK and who has been granted a full Gender Recognition Certificate will be able to obtain a new birth certificate showing his or her acquired gender.

A birth certificate is a full copy of the details in a record in a birth register, or in the case of a short certificate, some of the details in the record. The record contains the facts of a person’s birth, including name and gender.

The Registrar General can issue a replacement birth certificate to a transsexual person only where the record of the birth or adoption is held by the Registrar General. This includes people born in the UK, or born to a UK citizen abroad and registered, for example, by HM Forces, or the British Consul or High Commission.

Once a Full Gender Recognition Certificate is issued the Gender Recognition Panel will notify the Registrar General for England and Wales of the issue of a Gender Recognition Certificate to a person who was born or adopted in England or Wales. The Registrar General for England and Wales holds a Gender Recognition Register in which the birth of a transsexual person whose acquired gender has been legally recognised will be registered again showing new name(s) and recognised gender.

Registrars General for Scotland and Northern Ireland hold similar registers for people born in those countries.

A draft of the information to be recorded in the Gender Recognition Register will be sent to the applicant to help to clarify what the new birth certificate will look like and to resolve any questions before the record is made. On confirmation from the applicant that the draft record contains the correct information, a new record will be created in the Gender Recognition Register.

Where the transsexual person was adopted or has a birth record made overseas by, for example, a British Consul the new register will reflect that fact. Current contact details such as address will not be recorded in the register.

A confidential link between the original and new details will be maintained by the Registrar General. The Gender Recognition Register will not be open to public inspection or search.

Once a new record is made, both full and short birth certificates will be available. There will be nothing on the birth certificate to indicate it was compiled from information in the Gender Recognition Register. A short certificate, which shows only the name, sex, date of birth, district and sub-district of birth, will be issued free of charge to the applicant. Details of how to apply for birth certificates and the cost will be sent to the applicant with the draft of the information to be recorded in the Gender Recognition Register.

A full birth certificate (long version) is currently 11.50 GPB and a shortened version is 7.00 GPB.

The web site can be found here Gender Recognition Panel

United States

Please see Changing sex on birth certificates in the US

See also