"Non-op" is short for non-operative. When used as an adjective of a person, this term typically signifies that the person has either no desire to undergo gender reassignment surgery, and/or a medical, psychological, or other condition which prevents them from completing surgical reassignment.
A transgenderist is another term for a non-op person. Virginia Charles Prince coined the term to describe those who lived full time without the desire to have surgery.
Some transgenderists may have or desire surgery that is not considered standard gender reassignment surgery. These operations include castration (or orchiectomy), penectomy, nullification, and urethral rerouting. Except for castration, most of these surgeries are available in Thailand only. James Bellringer is a UK surgeon some go to for those procedures.
- Transsexuals who have not undergone surgery: A follow-up study by G. Kockottand E. -M. Fahrner (Archives of Sexual Behavior, Volume 16 Number 6, December 1987)
- Readers may use this email link to report errors and/or omissions they have discovered, or to add additional material or comments regarding this article "Non-op"
- Wiki Staff should discuss this article in the Wiki Staff Forum
- Susan's Place Transgender Resources Forums
- Susan's Place Transgender Chat
Browse: Gender | Cross-dressing | Intersexuality | Transgender topics | Transsexualism | Hormone Therapy | Surgery | Standards of Care | Legal Information | Psychology | Transitioning | Family & Friends | People | Books | Abbreviations | Browse All TopicsRead the FAQ | Return to the Main Page
Want to help us? Write New Articles and/or Expand Current Articles
This page was originally authored by members of Susan's Place Wiki Staff.